Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Orajel- The Oral Pain Relief for Toothaches

Never say never. That's all I can say, at least this is now all I can say. Never is what I told my dentist about a month ago when she told me that I had to get my wisdom teeth out. Never is what I told my friends anytime they complained about their teeth hurting them as mine never posed a problem. I knew that it was necessary but as long as there was no threat, for me getting them removed was never a reality. At least that is the way it was until...Friday.
Friday April 24th, it started off as such a beautiful day. The sun was shining, the birds were chirping and even though the circumstances surrounding me were not too bright, I was in the right state of mind. Driving to work with the windows down, I was in a realm of peace and it felt great. That was around 9 o'clock. Around 12, my teeth began to bother me just a little bit. It did not really hurt but was absolutely annoying but I did not think anything of it and thought that as quickly as the annoying pain came, it would just as soon go away.
It did not.
Friday turned into Saturday. By mid-day, I'm getting really ticked because no amount of tylenol will shake this thing. Its all I can think about. Although I supposed to be kicking it with my girls, thanks for the wonderful party again ladies, in the back of my mind I'm disturbed because I cannot get comfortable with this agonizing pain that is my teeth. Now I understand why teething babies are cranky, because its all I can keep from doing from going off on somebody.
Now its Saturday night, with another group of friends and still the pain persists. Someone suggests Orajel, the magical wonderful medicine that will numb my pain so that I cannot feel it anymore. Yeah! I'm excited to hear a solution and rush over to Walgreens on my way home to pick up my new best friend. I get home, rip off the safety label and apply that sucker on my teeth like there was no tomorrow. I felt the numbness beginning to kick in...for all about 3 minutes. After that, the pain was still there. What the heck was going on? This was not how it was supposed to be. I was supposed to be in peace, not this.
Needless to say, I did not get much sleep that night. Saturday turned into Sunday. After much complaining, my fiance suggests that I call the dentist to see if I can go in on Friday and get these demons extracted. Monday morning, before my feet can even hit the floor, I'm on the phone dialing the teeth people's office asking them when can they fit me in. Tuesday? No, I have to work. Friday? Yeah, that will do.
I hang up the phone, overjoyed because now this pain can go away. In the meantime, I pop Tylenol like its candy and Orajel like its red kool-aid. Together they work pretty effectively at numbing this pain for like 2 or 3 hours. But they are not permanent, they cannot really get at the root at why the pain is there and they cannot cure it either. The permanent solution? Undergo a painful surgery and get those things out!
What are you using to numb your pain? Like Orajel and Tylenol, it wont get at the root causes of why the pain is there and will only cover it up temporarily. Maybe yours lasts more than 2 or 3 hours, but no matter how long it cannot really satisfy or cure the brokenness. In my life, I've used the pain numbers of shopping, t.v., relationships, eating, exercising, and so much more. At the end of the day, whenever that anesthetic wore off, I was still hurting. I had to deal with the root causes of those things and come out, no matter how painful that extraction was, so that I could live pain-free.
Today, I asked my boss if it would be ok if I took Friday off to deal with this. Without hesitation she said yes, saying that if I did not deal with it now, it would only get worse. I charge you, whatever yours is, deal with it now. Suffer the pain of surgery and coming up under the knife of healing now, and live tomorrow free as a result.

No comments: